Living in a major city means that everyone’s schedule is hectic and demanding. Figuring out a day that works for both parties requires making plans a month in advance, and even then they can fall through with a last minute work assignment or social conflict. In order to stay connected with my fellow city dwellers, I host large brunches or dinners every 3 to 6 months, inviting about 70 friends with hopes that at least 50% will RSVP. Since my friends love me, I generally get about 40 people who attend. There’s so much preparation, cooking, and baking to be done!
My cheesecake is quite popular, but since I have a number of baked goods to make within the few hours between after work and sleep, I usually opt to make cheesecake cupcakes, which only take 20 minutes to bake instead of the usual 50 minutes for a springform pan cheesecake. These cupcakes are so easy to make and feed 24 people. The best part is that even if the cupcakes have cracks in them, the cream cheese mousse covers up the imperfections. To make them look even fancier, garnish them with a piece of oreo cookie.
4 bricks cream cheese, divided
1 cup sugar, divided
~40 oreos crushes
3 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon whole milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1 container of cool whip
Oven temperature 350 degrees F.
- Remove cream filling from 30 oreo cookies. Crush the cookies and then add melted butter to the mixture. Spoon a tablespoon of cookie crumbs into the bottom of each lined cupcake tin. Afterwards, crush the remaining cookies, including the cream, in a baggie for later use.
- Use an electric mixer to whisk 3 cream cheese bricks and 3/4 cups sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, creaming the mixture. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Afterwards, spoon in the milk to make the cupcakes even lighter. Gently fold in the crushed oreo cookies.
- Put batter into cupcake tins. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, whisk the remaining cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until fluffy. Whisk in cool whip. Put mousse into pipping bag.
- Once the cupcakes are fully cool, pipe the mousse onto the cupcakes and then garnish with a slice of oreo cookie. Enjoy!